Sunday, October 30, 2016

Week 10 Famous Last Words: I am a survivor

So this week had its ups and downs.

In the beginning of the week, I had a phone conversation with a Primary Investigator (PI) from a lab at the University of Alabama. As we talked, he told me that he wanted me to go do my Masters research with him on the ecology of subterranean ecosystems. It was an exciting moment, I had finally got someone who is willing to take me in as their student next year!

Unfortunately, later that day, I started to feel a little off. I went home early from the lab where I am doing my senior thesis research and went straight to bed (4:30 PM) I woke up at 10:00 with intense stomach pain and rumbling bowel movements that sounded and felt like an earthquake (it was actually an interesting experience in hindsight). I had some sort of stomach bug! I was out of commission for the whole day and the next. It was terrible. A few of my friends and other people in my department got it as well. It was quite literally and figuratively a shitty experience.

Even though I recovered by Thursday, my whole week was shot. I had no motivation and no energy to do anything. While my stomach pains and frequent trips to the bathroom stopped, I found out it was only because I had run out of things to expel from my body. Every time I ate something, not even an hour later, it would be back outside of me. In a course of over 48 hours, all I ate was a tortilla and half a glass of water. I was extremely dehydrated on Thursday and Friday. I guess the moral of this story is to wash your hands kids.

Image courtesy of the CDC

No comments:

Post a Comment