Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Week 11 Story: An Unwise Decision

Magic is a powerful essence that surrounds all living things. To the common people, it is beautiful and mysterious. But to the select few who are able to experience and wield its power, magic is volatile and deadly, there is nothing beautiful about it. It is my duty as a wizard to not fall into the temptation that it holds. With a clear mind, I shall resist the darkness within magic and use my power to protect all that is just and all that is right. That is the promise I made my him and that is the promise that I have kept...
--------------------------------------
It had been a tactical skirmish. Our unwavering faith in the king was a strong as ever. Through his leadership we defended Camelot's gates from the tides of Vikings. Their siege on the city had begun to wear on the walls and the morale of the troops, but we fought on diligently. With the king's guidance and my father's consul, the troops of were able to regain control of the Eastern watchtower.

As a woman, my job on the battlefield was simple. Find the wounded and care for them. More than once I had been forced to take up a sword and defend myself from the perverse minds of the enemy. Luckily, my father insisted that I learn how to wield a blade between my daily magical training.

My magic was unmatched, even to that of Merlin's. Who would expect his own daughter to surpass him? I can close wounds with a blink of an eye and I can replace limbs with a soft caress. My skills in the healing arts have brought me much fame and glory among the citizens of Camelot. They call me a saint and an angel, but I do not let these compliments get to me. My duty is to the people, I deserve no such reward for that.

One day during a skirmish, I was watching as King Arthur went riding into battle with his golden armor and dazzling sword. My admiration soon turned to fear as I see the man I love topple from his horse to the ground. Rushing to his aide, I see that an arrow had penetrated his armor and had pierced his heart. I could see the life draining quickly from his eyes. 

Weaving a masterful spell even I can cheat Death. Unfortunately, a spell so drastic requires a sacrifice of equal value. Without considering the consequences I resurrect the dead king in my arms. It was as if time had stood still for a second, all the noise had faded away. The ground beneath us erupted in a spectacular array of light in all different colors. The king's color returned to his face and the warmth to his body. I had done it, I had resurrected the king and saved the future of Camelot!

The display of my power must have been enough to scare away the Vikings as they began to retreat. It was not until after they had left did I realize what my actions had done. All around me, the ground was black. All the grass, the trees, and the flowers withered and dry. It was that day that I realized that a king's life is worth as much as the land he owns. All the land in Camelot was barren, by resurrecting the king, I had damned the country I spent so long protecting.

The resurrection of King Arthur
-------------------------------------
Author's Note: The motivation of this story comes from many different places. This week I read the stories out of the King Arthur section. While reading, I was surprised by the power the different female characters had on the development of the King Arthur and his story. I want to create a story that centered on a girl and her power. I was also interested in Merlin and his unhealthy relationship with Vivien. I like how he taught her magic, so I created my character with the Vivien in mind. I decided to make her his daughter rather than lover because... well it was just super creepy of him to be fawning over a little girl. Also, not proud about this story, I did not have any motivation when writing it. I may completely change it, I may not. We'll see.

Bibliography:

"King Arthur" Unit, Section A and Section B

"The Passing of Merlin" King Arthur Unit, Section A

5 comments:

  1. Hey Alec,

    Even though you said you didnt really care that much when you were writing this, I really enjoyed it. Your diction throughout the story made it really fun to read. I havent read any of the King Arthur stories, but I liked how you focused on someone that wasnt Arthur or Merlin because those are the most well known character. Anyways, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the concept of this story and especially the picture you chose to go with it. It's very appropriate. I love that you seized on the idea of a powerful woman in the story of king arthur and expanded on it. Even if you think this isn't your best work just yet and intend to improve it I think you've got great material to work with here. I can't wait to see what you do with it as you edit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this story. You did an awesome job with the diction and telling of your own tale. I love the stories of Merlin and King Author so I think your take on them is wonderful. I know you said you didn't care much about writing this, but it doesn't show and I think that says something to your talent as a writer. I will say, the grey is hard to read but overall really nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alec!!

    I think your story was wonderful! I thought it was interesting that you said you weren't really motivated to write this story because I thought it was very well thought out. I enjoyed that you centered the story around a woman and focus on the power that comes from her. I think many women would relate to that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alec!
    I've read your work before and I always love the concepts that you come up with... they are always very unique and well written. The fact that you wrote about such a powerful woman was amazing to me... it is sometimes difficult to personify the other gender correctly, but you did an amazing job at it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete